Learn about our ancient native Calusa Civilization. We’ll kayak to the Calusa Heritage Trail archeological site. Spend the day like a Calusa!
Useppa Island Archeological Tour
A special tour to a special island
Duration: We are together 7 hours, this is an all-day tour
Meeting Point: Pine Island
A Special Tour to a Special Island
This special kayak tour will take you to this unusual, private island. Your guide is a Florida Master Naturalist that knows the ins and outs of the route through the grass flats and mangrove islands of Pine Island Sound and the history of the area. We will visit Useppa Island’s museum which details 10,000 years of human habitation on Useppa. This island has a fascinating history, both ancient and modern. We will eat lunch at the historic Collier Inn and get to see the beautiful flora and interesting fauna of the island. Rate includes entry fee to the museum and parking, plus the cost of lunch.
GAEA Guides uses tandem kayaks that handle like a single if you are alone in one. We do this to limit the number of kayaks in the environment that may annoy the wildlife. We also do it because there is better communication between the guide and the clients if there are fewer kayaks. We only take a small group on each tour. The kayaks are sit-inside kayaks with comfortable seats and plenty of leg room.
Upon meeting at the appointed time we will sign in, go over some safety information and then get the equipment in the water. This takes approximately ½ hour. At the completion of the tour, we allow another ½ hour to get all the equipment put away. You will receive the directions to the launch site after making your reservations.
We ask that you dress for the weather
- Usually, a t-shirt and shorts will do
- Shoes that will get wet as you get in and out of your kayak (ideally, not flip flops as they can be very slippery)
- A hat
- Bug repellant may also be necessary if we are out in the evening
- Water, or something, to drink
- Your lunch or a snack, as we will stop to eat midway during the tour
- Do NOT bring anything that you cannot afford to get wet unless you have it in a dry bag.
- Please arrive on time to find parking, as tours start promptly.
- If you are not at the site by 15 minutes past the meeting time and have not made contact with the guide, the tour will start without you.
Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event. The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.