Tour through the bays, lagoons, bayous, sounds, rivers, creeks and passes of Southwest Florida. Birds, occasionally dolphins and sometimes manatees are spotted on this tour.
Duration: We are together 5 hours, 4 hours are on the water
Meeting Point: Pine Island (village of Pineland)
Learn About Our Ancient Native Calusa Civilization
Retrace the steps of the ancient native Calusa Civilization as you embark on a guided tour of the Calusa Heritage Trail at the Pineland Site Complex. GAEA Guides-Guided Kayak Nature Tours are taking guests back in time and giving them a chance to see what life was like for the earliest settlers of Florida’s southwest coast. The Calusa influence is both one of prominence and intrigue and the Archeological Kayak & Site Tour is the perfect way to see for yourself!
On this tour, you will learn about the ancient native Calusa Civilization at the Calusa Heritage Trail archeological site. You’ll paddle on the grass flats of Pine Island Sound. You’ll see birds, fish, sea corals, and bottom-dwelling creatures. You will also have the chance to witness dolphins and sometimes even manatee!
GAEA Guides uses tandem kayaks that handle like a single if you are alone in one. We do this to limit the number of kayaks in the environment that may annoy the wildlife. We also do it because there is better communication between the guide and the clients if there are fewer kayaks. We only take a small group on each tour. The kayaks are sit-inside kayaks with comfortable seats and plenty of leg room.
Upon meeting at the appointed time we will sign in, go over some safety information and then get the equipment in the water. This takes approximately ½ hour. At the completion of the tour, we allow another ½ hour to get all the equipment put away. You will receive the directions to the launch site after making your reservations.
We ask that you dress for the weather
- Usually, a t-shirt and shorts will do
- Shoes that will get wet as you get in and out of your kayak (ideally, not flip flops as they can be very slippery)
- A hat
- Bug repellant may also be necessary if we are out in the evening
- Water, or something, to drink
- Your lunch or a snack, as we will stop to eat midway during the tour
- Click here to complete your electronic waiver beforehand
- Do NOT bring anything that you cannot afford to get wet unless you have it in a dry bag
- Please arrive on time to find parking, as tours start promptly.
- If you are not at the site by 15 minutes past the meeting time and have not made contact with the guide, the tour will start without you.
Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event. The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.