Tour through the bays, lagoons, bayous, sounds, rivers, creeks and passes of Southwest Florida. Birds, occasionally dolphins and sometimes manatees are spotted on this tour.
Duration: We are together 3 hours, 2 hours are on the water
Meeting Point: 5 miles east of downtown Fort Myers
Kayak Through the Only Mangrove Forest in the United States
We have seen hundreds, if not thousands of nesting wood storks on this tour. Other birds seen on this tour include roseate spoonbills, pelicans, great blue herons, tri-colored herons, snowy egrets, great egrets and more. Some of the highlights that you will learn about from your Certified Florida Master Naturalist Guide on this tour are the many different species of birds that are nesting on the rookery. You’ll also learn about the estuary that this area is part of, known as “the cradle of the ocean”. Your guide will also teach you some history of the native Calusa that used this river as a highway. And of course, you’ll learn about the mangrove forest that you are paddling in – the only mangrove forest in the United States.
GAEA Guides uses tandem kayaks that handle like a single if you are alone in one. We do this to limit the number of kayaks in the environment that may annoy the wildlife. We also do it because there is better communication between the guide and the clients if there are fewer kayaks. We only take a small group on each tour. The kayaks are sit-inside kayaks with comfortable seats and plenty of leg room.
Upon meeting at the appointed time we will sign in, go over some safety information and then get the equipment in the water. This takes approximately ½ hour. At the completion of the tour, we allow another ½ hour to get all the equipment put away. You will receive the directions to the launch site after making your reservations.
We ask that you dress for the weather
- Usually, a t-shirt and shorts will do
- Shoes that will get wet as you get in and out of your kayak (ideally, not flip flops as they can be very slippery)
- A hat
- Bug repellant may also be necessary if we are out in the evening
- Water, or something, to drink
- Click here to complete your electronic waiver beforehand
- Do NOT bring anything that you cannot afford to get wet unless you have it in a dry bag.
- Please arrive on time to find parking, as tours start promptly.
- If you are not at the site by 15 minutes past the meeting time and have not made contact with the guide, the tour will start without you.
Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event. The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.