Tour through the bays, lagoons, bayous, sounds, rivers, creeks and passes of Southwest Florida. Birds, occasionally dolphins and sometimes manatees are spotted on this tour.
Duration: We are together 3 hours, 2 hours are on the water
Meeting Point: Punta Gorda
See a Multitude of Different Bird Species
Prepare for the avian adventure of a lifetime with one of our 3-hour bird rookery tours of the Peace River and Hunter Creek Estuary. This area is home to an incredible multitude of bird species. In the Spring and Summer, the rookery island that we visit is very active with many nesting birds. It is a serene and breathtaking area, perfect for a fun and informative paddle. Every tour is led by a Certified Florida Master Naturalist. While on the tour you will view many bird species nesting in their natural habitat. You’ll receive nature education from your naturalist guide. If you are a big fan of our feathered friends, this tour is perfect for you. Even if you are not a bird enthusiast, it is a great way of seeing the nature of the area, and to learn a thing or two about our winged companions.
GAEA Guides uses tandem kayaks that handle like a single if you are alone in one. We do this to limit the number of kayaks in the environment that may annoy the wildlife. We also do it because there is better communication between the guide and the clients if there are fewer kayaks. We only take a small group on each tour. The kayaks are sit-inside kayaks with comfortable seats and plenty of leg room.
Upon meeting at the appointed time we will sign in, go over some safety information and then get the equipment in the water. This takes approximately ½ hour. At the completion of the tour, we allow another ½ hour to get all the equipment put away. You will receive the directions to the launch site after making your reservations.
We ask that you dress for the weather
- Usually, a t-shirt and shorts will do
- Shoes that will get wet as you get in and out of your kayak (ideally, not flip flops as they can be very slippery)
- A hat
- Bug repellant may also be necessary if we are out in the evening
- Water, or something, to drink
- Click here to complete your electronic waiver beforehand
- Do NOT bring anything that you cannot afford to get wet unless you have it in a dry bag.
- Please arrive on time to find parking, as tours start promptly.
- If you are not at the site by 15 minutes past the meeting time and have not made contact with the guide, the tour will start without you.
Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event. The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.